Globally Harmonized System of Classification and Labelling of Chemicals (GHS)
Eighth revised edition
Copyright © United Nations, 2019 - All rights reserved
At its ninth session (7 December 2018), the "Committee of Experts on the Transport of Dangerous Goods and on the Globally Harmonized System of Classification and Labelling of Chemicals" adopted a set of amendments to the seventh revised edition of the GHS which include, inter alia:
- new classification criteria, hazard communication elements, decision logics and guidance for chemicals under pressure;
- new provisions for the use of in vitro/ex vivo data and non-test methods to assess skin corrosion and skin irritation;
- miscellaneous amendments to clarify the classification criteria for Specific Target Organ Toxicity;
- revised and further rationalized precautionary statements and an editorial revision of Sections 2 and 3 of Annex 3;
- new examples of precautionary pictograms to convey the precautionary statement “Keep out reach of children”;
- a new example in Annex 7 addressing labelling of sets or kits; and
- guidance on the identification of dust explosion hazards and the need for risk assessment, prevention, mitigation, and hazard communication.
The eighth revised edition of the GHS takes account of these amendments which were circulated as document ST/SG/AC.10/46/Add.3.
Official UN publications can also be obtained through the UN Bookshop and official distributors.