United Nations Special Envoy for Road Safety
United Nations Secretary-General announced on 29 April 2015 the appointment of Jean Todt as his Special Envoy for Road Safety. Mr. Todt is the President of Fédération Internationale de l’Automobile (FIA) - Terms of Reference and Mr. Todt's CV.
Every year, 1.4 million people are killed from road crashes and millions more are injured. Half of all road traffic deaths are among vulnerable road users such as pedestrians, cyclists and motorcyclists. Road traffic deaths are also the leading cause of death for young people aged 15-29, and road traffic injuries are the eighth leading cause of death globally... Read more
Key areas of work
- The Special Envoy met with Government and UN officials as well as representatives from the private sector in Saudi Arabia from 16 to 18 January 2021.
- The Special Envoy delivered remarks at the Global Meeting of Regional Road Safety Observatories on 8 December 2020.
- The Special Envoy hosted the Fourth UN Partnership Meeting for Road Safety on 4 November 2020. The event was held virtually and attended by nearly 70 high-level representatives from 31 UN organizations and departments.
- The Special Envoy met with Government and UN officials in Egypt, Kenya and Bahrain in November 2020.
- The Special Envoy participated in the World Bank “Road Safety in South Asia – Rethinking Urban Mobility amid COVID-19” webinar.
- The Special Envoy chaired the Geneva Friends of Road Safety event "A New Decade for Road Safety", hosted by the Ambassador of France, H.E. Mr. François Rivasseau.
- The Special Envoy participated in the UNRSF Webinar on potential impact of COVID-19 on road safety.
- The Special Envoy hosted a Ministerial Lunch on the margins of the 3rd Global Ministerial Conference on Road Safety. During the event the book authored by the Special Envoy, titled “Millions of lives to save on the roads” was officially released.