United Nations Special Envoy for Road Safety
United Nations Secretary-General announced on 29 April 2015 the appointment of Jean Todt as his Special Envoy for Road Safety. Mr. Todt is the President of Fédération Internationale de l’Automobile (FIA) - Terms of Reference and Mr. Todt's CV.
Every year, 1.4 million people are killed from road crashes and millions more are injured. Half of all road traffic deaths are among vulnerable road users such as pedestrians, cyclists and motorcyclists. Road traffic deaths are also the leading cause of death for young people aged 15-29, and road traffic injuries are the eighth leading cause of death globally... Read more
Key areas of work
- The Special Envoy participated in the Kapuscinski Development Lecture, ‘Safe & Sustainable Mobility: How safe and sustainable mobility can contribute to achieve the SDGs’ on 4 May 2021;
- The Special Envoy met with Government and UN officials as well as representatives from the private sector in Bahrain, Qatar and Italy from March to April 2021;
- The Special Envoy delivered opening remarks at the online Symposium on the Future Networked Car on 22 March 2021;
- The Special Envoy delivered online remarks at the opening of the 82nd session of the Working Party 1 on Global Forum for Road Traffic on 8 March 2021;
- The Special Envoy delivered opening remarks at the 83rd session of the Inland Transport Committee of UNECE;
- The Special Envoy met with Government and UN officials as well as representatives from the private sector in Saudi Arabia from 16 to 18 January 2021;
- The Special Envoy hosted the launch press event of the Road Safety Performance Review Ethiopia report on 12 January 2021;
- The Special Envoy delivered remarks at the Global Meeting of Regional Road Safety Observatories on 8 December 2020.
- The Special Envoy hosted the Fourth UN Partnership Meeting for Road Safety on 4 November 2020. The event was held virtually and attended by nearly 70 high-level representatives from 31 UN organizations and departments.
- The Special Envoy chaired the Geneva Friends of Road Safety event "A New Decade for Road Safety", hosted by the Ambassador of France, H.E. Mr. François Rivasseau.