The implementation of the Madrid International Plan of Action on Ageing and its UNECE Regional Implementation Strategy, both adopted in 2002, foresee a periodic five-year review and appraisal.
The fourth review and appraisal is taking place in 2021-2022. UNECE member States will appraise the progress made towards the goals of the 2017 Lisbon Ministerial Declaration that concluded the last regional review.
National reviews of MIPAA/RIS are currently under way. UNECE member States are expected to submit their national reports by the end of September 2021.
Member States are encouraged to engage civil society and older persons in the review and appraisal of MIPAA/RIS implementation.
- Guidelines for review and appraisal of MIPAA : Bottom-up participatory approach
- Online workshop on 21 April 2021 "Making participation meaningful: bringing governments and civil society together"
Healthy and Active Ageing in a Sustainable World
In the 4th review and appraisal of MIPAA/RIS, UNECE member States are also invited to cover the following:
- Activities related to the UN Decade of Healthy Ageing 2021-2030
- Participation in the Global Campaign to Combat Ageism
- Contribution of ageing-related policies to the implementation of the 2030 Agenda
- Lessons learnt from managing the consequences and impacts of COVID-19
Timeline for the 4th review and appraisal of MIPAA/RIS in the UNECE region
- 2020: Modalities and National Reporting Guidelines
- 2021: National reviews and appraisal
- 2022: UNECE Ministerial Conference on Ageing in Rome, Italy
- 2023: Commission of Social Development presents global review outcomes
20 years of MIPAA and the UNECE Regional Implementation Strategy: Experiences, Achievements and the Way Forward - Webinar hosted by the International Federation on Ageing in collaboration with the NGO Committee on Ageing Vienna and the Austrian Federal Ministry of Social Affairs, Health, Care and Consumer Protection on 12 November 2020. The recording and documentation can be accessed here.