Time: 09:00–12:00 CET
Language: English, Russian
The meeting was organized online via Zoom.
This event is a part of the UNDA “Inter-regional cooperation for the implementation of the New Urban Agenda” project, and aimed to support national governments and selected cities in consolidating their role in achieving sustainable development; increase policy coherence amongst member States across the regions; and promote the improved capacities of institutions and “human agents of change” in the implementation of the New Urban Agenda.
The workshop discussed the challenges to, and opportunities for, achieving sustainable and resilient urban development in the city of Almaty. The workshop was organized jointly by the United Nations Economic Commission for Europe (UNECE), United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia, and UN-Habitat, with the support of Almaty City Hall. The objectives of the workshop were:
- To explore challenges in the implementation of the 2030 Agenda, especially SDG 11 to "Make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable" and its targets, in the city of Almaty;
- To provide information on the “Inter-regional cooperation for the implementation of the New Urban Agenda” project to workshop participants, and to discuss the next steps of the project implementation;
- To introduce the U4SSC “KPI Collection Methodology for Sustainable Smart Cities”, and agree on a plan for the collection of data for the assessment of Almaty’s sustainable and smart development;
- To introduce tools for innovative financing that could be used to attract external funds for Almaty’s urban development projects and to support its smart, sustainable development.
The workshop included sessions that:
- Highlighted the role of the UNECE/ITU KPIs for Smart Sustainable Cities in achieving sustainable urban development and improving the review of the implementation of the 2030 Agenda in the preparation of the “Smart Sustainable City Profile of Almaty”;
- Explored the roles of various financial mechanisms in delivering smart and sustainable development for the city of Almaty.