Target countries: Bishkek (Kyrgyzstan), Dushanbe (Tajikistan), Tbilisi (Georgia), Nis (Serbia) and Ukraine
Project partners: UN-Habitat (lead partner); UNECE; UNESCAP; UNDESA
The project Voluntary Local Reviews: Evidence for Greener, Resilient and Sustainable Urban Recovery in Eastern European and Central Asian Countries in Transition proposes an integrated approach to sustainable development rooted in the principle of leaving no one behind, multilevel governance – connecting local, national, regional and international levels – and data innovation. It aims at fostering national recovery from the pandemic by harnessing the potential of Voluntary Local Reviews to accelerate the local implementation of the SDGs and recovery. It builds on a capacity building process connecting in-person learning opportunities with e-learning classes, strengthening the sustainability of the project’s mechanisms and activities.
Expected objectives for participating cities
The project objective is to advance socio-economic recovery and SDG localization in selected countries in transition in Eastern Europe and Central Asia by harnessing the potential of Voluntary Local Reviews. To achieve this objective, the project is grounded on a Territorial Approach to sustainable development and on the principles of the New Urban Agenda, and articulated around five key components: technical support to cities; normative development; multilevel governance; capacity-building for local and national governments; and regional and global advocacy processes.
- Guidelines and publications
- Online training
Development of SDG Voluntary Local Reviews in UNECE Region (log in at City Resilience Training website for full access to the course)
- Meetings and events
- Side event “Multilevel governance for SDG Localization” to the ECOSOC Partnership Forum 2023" (online, 31 January 2023)
- Online workshop "SDG voluntary local reviews: evidence for greener, resilient and sustainable urban recovery in Eastern European and Central Asian countries in transition" (6 December 2022)
- SDG Voluntary Local Reviews (agenda item 12) at the 83rd session of the UNECE Committee on Urban Development, Housing and Land Management (San Marino, 4 October 2022)
- Second Forum of Mayors (Geneva, 4-5 April 2022)
- One UN event at the UNFCCC COP27 "Climate action and New Urban Agenda: SDGs localization and sustainable urban policy for resilience" (Sharm El-Sheik, Egypt, 16 November 2022)
- News and media