- The seminar will build on the eleven years of persistent work for trade facilitation in Odessa, Ukraine, and the region, notably in such areas as simplifying procedures, Single Window, port community systems, implementation of the WTO Trade Facilitation Agreement, and innovative projects on digital transport corridors, and data and document exchange in electronic format.
- The current complicated situation requires even more innovative solutions, using international standards and best practice, which will be highlighted at the seminar. Trade must go on, so that society continues functioning. Moreover, the crisis has created serious risks for sustainable development in and around Ukraine, destruction of nature, valuable assets, living and working conditions for millions of people, as well as risks for food security, economic activities, and lifestyle of many more millions of people in places ranging from the Middle East and Indonesia to Western Europe. People in those countries rely on imports of grain, vegetable oils, raw materials, and many other products from Ukraine. Cross-border trade will need to function, even if along altered routes.
- Speakers will share information on the progress made the last years in the application of the new package of standards and reference data models of the UN Centre for Trade Facilitation and Electronic Business (UN/CEFACT), which aim at the digital transformation of data and document exchanges in multimodal transport. They will talk about the current efforts to respond to the challenges of changing routes from sea to land, by digitalizing the collection and exchange of information for transportation of goods along new, land routes to the West of Ukraine.
- We are working with such organizations as the European Commission Directorates-General for Taxation and Customs Union (DG TAXUD) and Mobility and Transport (DG MOVE), the International Maritime Organization (IMO), the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO), the Organization for Cooperation of Railways (OSJD), the International Rail Transport Committee (CIT), the International Road Transport Union (IRU), the International Federation of Freight Forwarders Associations (FIATA), the European Association for Forwarding, Transport, Logistics and Customs Services (CLECAT), the Transport Corridor Europe-Caucasus-Asia (TRACECA), the Organization for Democracy and Economic Development (GUAM) and others, and they will be invited to this seminar.
- As in previous years, the seminar will lead to the formulation of conclusions and recommendations on the next steps in this initiative, in this challenging time.
To participate in this seminar, please register at: 12th International Seminar UNECE 2022 (singlewindow.org). After registration, participants will receive a message with the ZOOM links.