Fifth Meeting - UN/LOCODE Advisory Group
Fifth Meeting - UN/LOCODE Advisory Group
Background and Concept Note
The “United Nations Code for Trade and Transport Locations” (UN/LOCODE) is an international standard to identify locations uniquely and unambiguously. It is widely used in the trade community and other areas, such as sustainable fishery, maritime security and environmental protection.
UN/LOCODE is managed and maintained by UNECE with the support of the UN/LOCODE Advisory Group. It is the product of a wide collaboration in the framework of joint trade facilitation efforts undertaken by the United Nations, other international organizations, governmental bodies and the business community.
Aiming at a better service to the UN/LOCODE user community and the sustainable development of UN/LOCODE, the UNECE secretariat strives to meet growing demands with limited resources.
- In 2015, the UN/LOCODE Focal Point Network was set up to improve data quality through support from governmental authorities.
- In 2017, the UN/LOCODE Advisory Group was set up to advise the Secretariat in the development of the standard and to provide a platform for all interested stakeholders to contribute to the further use and the promotion of the standard.
- In 2018, the Advisory Group recommended the development of a new UN/LOCODE maintenance and publication system to support the new workflow of the maintenance team including the UN/LOCODE Focal Point Network.
- In 2019, the development of the new system through the UN/LOCODE Re-engineering Project was kicked off.
- In 2020, the use of UN/LOCODE for the Agreement on Port State Measures (PSMA) by the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) was discussed.
The UN/LOCODE Advisory Group meets once per year. At the fifth annual meeting, the important issues, follow-up and development related to UN/LOCODE arising since the last annual meeting. will be reported to the UN/LOCODE Advisory Group for discussion and decision, including
- Cooperation with the FAO secretariat on the use of UN/LOCODE for Global Record to combat Illegal, Unreported and Unregulated (IUU) fishing.
- Liaison with the United Nations Group of Experts on Geographical Names (UNGEGN) and the UN Global Platform.
- Country code used for Northern Ireland after Brexit in UN/LOCODE.
- UN/LOCODE maintenance team to validate Data Maintenance Requests (DMRs).
- Launch of a Task Force to deal with the policy of the UN/LOCODE maintenance in line with the revised Recommendation 16.
- New UN/LOCODE system developed through the UN/LOCODE Re-engineering Project, which supports Application Programming Interface (API) to exchange real-time data with other business systems.
The UN/LOCODE Advisory Group members including representatives of the UN/LOCODE user community, UN/LOCODE Focal Points, and UN/CEFACT experts; the UN/LOCODE re-engineering project team members; International Organizations.
All delegates are requested to register through the webex online registration
Item 1. Adoption of the agenda
UN/LOCODE-AG/2021/INF.1 - Agenda
Item 2. Election of Officers
Item 3. Introduction of experts
Item 4. Report from the Secretariat
UN/LOCODE-AG/2021/INF.2 - Report on UN/LOCODE
Item 5. New developments and follow-ups
UN/LOCODE-AG/2021/INF.3 - Joint paper on Global Record
Use of UN/LOCODE for Global Record (Jose Acuna, FAO)
AIS on the UN Global Platform (Markie Muryawan, UN/DESA)
Liaison report from UNGEGN
Item 6. Country code for Northern Ireland
UN/LOCODE-AG/2021/INF.4 - Note on country code for Northern Ireland
Item 7. UN/LOCODE maintenance
UN/LOCODE-AG/2021/INF.5 - ToR for the Task Force
Report by the Maintenance Team (Bertrand Geoffray, Co-convenor)
Terms of Reference (ToRs) of the Task Force on Facilitation and Improvement of the UN/LOCODE Maintenance (Yan Zhang, UNECE)
UN/LOCODE National Focal Point for Brazil (Tiago Splender)
Item 8. UN/LOCODE Re-engineering Project
Report from the project team (Yan Zhang, UNECE)
Web services for data exchange of UN/LOCODE (Jiajun Shen, IMO)
Item 9. Adoption of the Programme of Work for 2022-2023
UN/LOCODE-AG/2021/INF.6 - Draft Programme of Work for 2022-2023
Item 10. Future work
Item 11. Other business
Item 12. Adoption of decisions
UN/LOCODE-AG/2021/INF.7 - Report