The Team of Specialists on Boreal Forests was established at Forêt2019 - the joint session of the ECE Committee on Forests and Forest Industry and the FAO European Forestry Commission, which took place in November 2019 in Geneva, Switzerland.
The Team has four main objectives:
- Contribute to science and policy cooperation on boreal forests, while reducing duplication of efforts and encouraging the pursuit of cost-effective approaches for circumboreal cooperation;
- Increase collaboration with the International Boreal Forest Research Association (IBFRA) and other boreal-related research organizations, in order to strengthen science and policy cooperation with regards to the boreal biome;
- Improve awareness and understanding of the role boreal forests play in global issues such as climate change and the bioeconomy, as well as addressing the challenges reflected in the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development;
- Advise the ECE/FAO Forestry and Timber Section on any matters related to boreal forests within the integrated programme of work.
The Team of Specialists on Boreal Forests will bring bring together the expertise and ideas of national boreal forest experts from both the policy and scientific field. Nominated experts are expected to participate in team meetings as well as the work described in the mandate.
Meetings & Events
- 1st online meeting, 21 October 2020
- 2nd online meeting, 3 February 2021
- 3rd online meeting, 23 June 2021
- The science and policy of wildfires in the boreal biome, International Boreal Forest Research Association (IBFRA) Conference, 20 August 2021.
- Snapshot on Boreal forests' contribution to the Sustainable Development Goals, Regional Forum on Sustainable Development in the UNECE region, 15 March 2021. Watch the recording in English and Russian.