It will also compliment the work in progress in five selected informal settlements of Bishkek within the UNDA funded project “Smart Sustainable Cities for the 2030 Agenda on Sustainable Development and the New Urban Agenda in the UNECE Region”.
The most pressing priority outlined by the city Hall of Bishkek is the formalization and transformation of its informal settlements - home to about 20 percent of the city’s population. The city identified five pilot informal settlements to initiate formalization The integration of these settlements (land and buildings) into formal land markets is a prerequisite for attracting incremental investment to realize possible future transformations of these areas into sustainable neighbourhoods. It is equally critical to ensure that inhabitants of those settlements have identity documents, which will allow them to access basic services, such as hospitals, schools, as well as register property, among others.
- A Post COVID-19 Recovery Action Plan for Informal Settlements for the ECE Region, including detailed recommendations for the four pilot cities
- Increased capacity of national, subnational and local governments in the four project cities/countries to transform informal settlements into sustainable, resilient urban areas in the recovery from COVID-19 pandemic.
- Preparation of a series of online lectures on the formalization process of informal constructions to build capacity of national and local governments and as starting point for implementing the Recovery Action Plan.
- Organization of a series of thematic online workshops to build capacity of local policy makers and public authorities on policy areas for sustainable urban development.
Reports and assessments
- Podgorica: Post COVID-19 Recovery for Informal Settlements
- Bishkek: Post COVID-19 Recovery for Informal Settlements
- Skopje: Post COVID-19 Recovery for Informal Settlements
- Policy Brief: Nature-based solutions
- Policy Brief: Water and Sanitation
To be finalized:
- Innovative financing
- Sustainable urban mobility
- Energy Efficiency, Accessibility and Sustainability
- ONLINE workshop. Bishkek: Towards Smart Sustainable City and its post COVID-19 recovery 10 March 2021
- ONLINE thematic workshop “Building Back Better in Informal Settlements as a Step Towards More Sustainable Urbanization” 15 December 2020
- Kyrgyzstan Local Stakeholder Workshop - Post COVID-19 Recovery Action Plan for Informal Settlements in the UNECE Region 10 December 2020
- Balkans Local Stakeholder Workshop : Post COVID-19 Recovery Action Plan for Informal Settlements in the UNECE Region 09 December 2020
- ONLINE workshop “Post Covid-19 Recovery Action Plan for Informal Settlements in the UNECE Region – Validation Workshop” 02 December 2020
- Kickstarting the COVID-19 Recovery Action Plan for Informal Settlements in the UNECE Region: Western Balkans 10 November 2021
- Kickstarting the COVID-19 Recovery Action Plan for Informal Settlements in the UNECE Region: CIS, Ukraine and Georgia 12 November 2021
- ONLINE thematic workshop "Improving Urban Resilience in Informal Settlements" 24 November 2020
- Guidelines for the formalization of Informal Constructions
- COVID-19 Guidance Note Protecting residents of informal settlements by the Special Rapporteur on the right to adequate housing
- Formalizing the Informal: Challenges and Opportunities of Informal Settlements in South-East Europe (2015)
- Self-Made Cities: In search of sustainable solutions for informal settlements in the UNECE region (2009)
- ONLINE workshop "Formalizing the Informal to Protect Residents in Informal Settlements" (17 June 2020)