Co-Chaired by IOM, UNDP and UNHCR, the Issue-Based Coalition (IBC) on Large Movements of People, Displacement and Resilience serves as a platform to exchange the key advocacy messages related to large displacement of refugees and migrants for use during the high-level events, influencing public policy dialogues and legislative changes affecting persons of concern. The Issue-based Coalition aims to provide coherent UN support at the country level towards SDGs nationalization inclusive of key issues related to large displacement of refugees, migrants and resilience.
Chairs: IOM, UNDP, and UNHCR
Members: UN Environment, UNFPA, UNICEF, UNOPS, UN Women and WFP
Focus areas: Inclusion of persons of concern under the ‘no one left behind’ principle and support towards SDGs nationalization inclusive of the key issues related to large displacement of refugees, migrants and resilience.
- Promote joint UN advocacy statements and common messages in relation to dealing with large movement of people, displacement and resilience without prejudice to the mandates of relevant UN agencies. Develop targeted advocacy on key challenges related to one or several countries or the entire region.
- Support countries in including the refugees, migrants and stateless persons and countries’ resilience to related shocks in the development of national action plans, as part of the realization of the 2030 Agenda, as well as into the UN Development Assistance Framework, where appropriate.
- Develop nd promote common UN approaches to raise awareness of the rights of refugees and migrants and to counter xenophobia, as well as to improving institutional and community resilience that responds to large movements of people and displacement in a manner that meets the needs and rights of both migrant and refugee populations, as well as host and transit communities over the short, medium and long-term.
- Provide regional perspective and strengthen regional partnership and involvement of stakeholders at all levels of governance to support member States in implementation of relevant targets of the SDGs and of the New York Declaration on refugees and migrants.
- Improve coordination, communication and information sharing on key lessons and good practices considering the focus to leave no one behind due movement of people and displacement.
For further information, please see the 2020 work plan and terms of reference