The Electronic Permit Information eXchange (EPIX) Task Force of the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Fauna and Flora (CITES) was established by the United Nations Economic Commission for Europe (UNECE) and the United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP) in collaboration with the CITES Secretariat.
The aim of the Task Force is to support interested Management Authorities (MAs) and other relevant national stakeholders of CITES Parties in initiating and carrying out pilot-based and/or live electronic exchanges of CITES permits among them, which may contribute to the prevention of fraudulent use of CITES permits, facilitate legal trade and improve CITES annual report preparation and submission. The activities of the Task Force shall initially focus on electronic exchange of CITES Permits between and among MAs of CITES parties from the UNECE and/or ESCAP members.
The Task Force carries out the following activities:
- Regular physical and virtual meetings
- Support to participating MAs on arranging and executing pilot/live electronic exchange of CITES Permits
- Capacity building, in connection with events of UNECE, ESCAP, CITES and other partners
- Sharing of practical lessons learned from implementation
- Advocacy through development of guidelines, briefs, etc., in particular in connection with activities of UNNExT and UN/CEFACT
- Studies and research on further advancing electronic exchange of CITES Permits among MAs as well as facilitation of electronic information exchange between MAs and other regulatory agencies
- Contribute to the development of relevant standards and best practice through drafting of guidelines, recommendations and technical specifications.
- Key documents
ToR of the Task Force UNECE/UNESCAP Task Force on eCITES EPIX Pilots
UNECE/UNESCAP Task Force on eCITES EPIX Pilots
7 February 2023, Virtual meeting, Geneva, SwitzerlandUNECE/UNESCAP Task Force on eCITES EPIX Pilots
9 October 2022, Virtual meeting, Geneva, Switzerland6 July 2022, Virtual meeting, Geneva, Switzerland
- Join us
To participate, register as expert on our online registration form. Under Areas of Interest, kindly select “Task Force on EPIX”.
For more information please contact by e-mail: [email protected]