COP 26: for the climate action we urgently need
The COP 26 UN Climate Change Conference, hosted by the UK in partnership with Italy, will take place from 31 October to 12 November 2021 in Glasgow, UK.
Hosted in the UNECE region, this will offer an important opportunity to UNECE member States and all Parties worldwide to scale up commitments to deliver on the Paris Agreement. On the road to COP 26, UNECE will be mobilizing to support the climate action we urgently need.
For more information, visit the UNFCCC website
Supporting action in the region
The UNECE region – stretching over North America right across Europe, covering the Balkans, the Caucasus and Central Asia – is a major source of greenhouse gas emissions, responsible for 34% of the world’s CO2 emissions from fossil fuel combustion. The people of the region are increasingly feeling the impacts of climate change - from wildfires to flooding, heatwaves and drought.
Faced with the climate emergency and to meet the objectives of the Paris Agreement and Sustainable Development Goals, UNECE member States are taking important climate action in key areas. Through its norms, standards, conventions and policy assistance, UNECE provides practical tools to support countries’ efforts for both climate change mitigation and adaptation.
Selected events and key milestones
In the build up to COP 26 and beyond, several key events and milestones will shape UNECE’s contribution to countries’ climate action:
- UNGA: High-level Dialogue on Energy, including dialogue of Regional Commissions on carbon removal (24 September 2021)
- UNECE Sustainable Energy Week: 30th Jubilee session of the Committee on Sustainable Energy and the 8th session of the Group of Experts on Energy Efficiency (22-24 September 2021)
- UNGA: Food Systems Summit (23 September 2021)
- Ninth session of the Meeting of the Parties to the Water Convention (29 September-1 October 2021)
- Pre-COP26, Milan (30 September-2 October 2021)
- UNECE Ministerial Meeting on Urban Development, Housing and Land Management and the 82nd session of the Committee on Housing, Urban Development and Land Management: “Affordable, adequate, and resilient housing in liveable cities, including cities which face extreme weather conditions” (6-8 October 2021)
- Ministerial Meeting on Forest Landscape Restoration and the ECCA30/Bonn Challenge in Eastern and South-East Europe (12 October 2021)
- International Day for Disaster Risk Reduction (13 October 2021)
- UN Global Sustainable Transport Conference (14-16 October 2021)
- Seventh session of the Meeting of the Parties to the Aarhus Convention, fourth session of the Meeting of the Parties to the Protocol on PRTRs, their joint High-level Segment and associated meetings (18-22 Oct)
- COP26 (1-12 November 2021)
- 27th session of the Committee on Environmental Policy (3-5 November 2021)
- Foresta2021 - the Joint Session of the UNECE Committee on Forests and the Forest Industry and the FAO European Forestry Commission (22-25 November 2021)
- UNDRR European Forum for Disaster Risk Reduction (24-26 November)
- 84th Session of the Inland Transport Committee, marking its 75th Anniversary (22-25 February 2022)