The Issue-based Coalition on Environment and Climate Change provides a regional platform for UN agencies to (i) promote coordinated support to all Member States in Europe and Central Asia in their implementation of the 2030 Agenda and (ii) support UN Country Teams in the Europe and Central Asia region on environmental and climate change issues. The Coalition, active as of January 2020, addresses activities dedicated to strengthening environmental and climate change governance, improving environmental management and climate change mitigation and adaptation, and promoting sustainable management of natural resources.
Co-Chairs: UNEP, UNESCO and UNECE
Members: FAO, ILO, IOM, ITU, OHCHR, UN Habitat, UN Women, UNDP, UNDRR, UNECE, UNEP, UNESCO, UNFCCC, UNICEF, UNOPS, WFP, WHO and WMO. (The Coalition is open to all UN agencies, funds and programmes. Related entities working at the regional level on environment and/or climate change may also be invited.)
Focus areas: The Coalition’s work is based around three pillars:
- Strengthening environmental governance and implementing the SDGs and the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development
- Supporting countries in the environmental dimension of UN Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework (UNSDCF) and Common Country Analysis (CCA) processes
- Monitoring and reporting on the environmental and climate change dimension of SDGs
Activities : workplan for 2022 (workplan for 2021) and the Calendar of Activities.
For further information, please see main IBC Products and other key UN system resources, Terms of Reference (July 2021) and Menu of Services (July 2021).
The Issue-based Coalition on Environment and Climate Change for Europe and Central Asia has counterparts in other regions:
- Issue based Coalitions for the Latin America and Caribbean region: Climate change and resilience
- Issue Based Coalitions in the Asia Pacific region: Climate change mitigation and air pollution
- (Opportunity) Issue-based Coalitions in the Africa region
- Issue-based Coalitions in the Arab region