Implementation period: January 2020 - March 2023
The project supports the transition of beneficiary cities towards being smart and sustainable with a view to support countries in achieving the Sustainable Development Goal 11 (SDG 11) and other urban related SDGs of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. Improved capacities of local and national government officials of five countries in the UNECE region to develop and implement sustainable urban policies will result from:
- Evaluation of performance of cities
- Capacity-building activities to promote evidence-based policies and the vertical and horizontal coordination between different government agencies with participation of the cities’ inhabitants.
The project uses the UNECE approach “Sustainable Smart Cities with Innovative Financing” to facilitate the work in the cities. The approach takes a city through the full cycle from city evaluation as Sustainable and Smart, to recommendations on how to move it forward in this area, to supporting the innovative financing and investments to concrete city projects.
The expected result would be evidenced by each of the participating cities having developed concrete measures, endorsed by the local as well as national governments, to implement recommendations stemming from the smart sustainable city profiles. The project will support achieving SDG 11 “Make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable” as well as other SDGs, including SDGs 3, 6, 9, 13 and the New Urban Agenda.
- Grodno (Belarus)
- Nur-Sultan (Kazakhstan)
- Bishkek (Kyrgyzstan)
- Tblisi (Georgia)
- Podgorica (Montenegro)
- UNDP in Belarus, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Georgia and Montenegro
- Offices of UN Resident Coordinators in Belarus, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Georgia and Montenegro
- 15 May 2020 - Webinar on Innovative Financing Toolbox for Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan
- 27 May 2020 - Webinar on Sustainable Smart Cities Profile for project beneficiary cities from Belarus (Grodno), Kazakhstan (Nur-Sultan), and Kyrgyzstan (Bishkek)
- 05 June 2020 – Webinar on Innovative Financing Toolbox for Nur-Sultan, Kazakhstan
- U4SSC KPI Collection Methodology used to assess the city performance
- Smart Sustainable Cities Profile