The UNECE/FAO Forestry and Timber Section analyses structural developments in the forest sector and produces studies on the long-term outlook for supply and demand for wood as well as other forest goods and services. These studies support policy and decision makers and analysts in Government, the civil society and the private sector. The key publications in this field of work are the Forest Sector Outlook Studies (FSOS), a series that started in 1952 with the European Timber Trend Studies. More recent publications are the European Forest Sector Outlook Study II, 2010-2030 (EFSOS II, published in 2011) and the North American Forest Sector Outlook Study (published in 2012). All these studies map out possible or likely future developments, based on past trends. A reference scenario and different policy scenarios provide a contribution to evidence-based policy formulation and decision-making.
At present, the next round of the FSOS is in its first planning stage. The meeting in Geneva in January is supposed to bring policy makers and experts together in order to discuss in an interactive way expectations, needs and general aspects of the next FSOS.
Brainstorm and discuss with participants the following issues concerning the next Forest Sector Outlook Study:
- Policy questions
- Specific topics (climate change, etc.)
- Geographic coverage
- Time horizon
- Scenarios and modelling
- Main and supportive studies
- Policy makers
- Team of Specialists Forest Sector Outlook
- Other experts
- ECE/FAO Forestry and Timber Section
- Relevant international and non-governmental organizations
- Representatives of the private sector
IV. Expected results
- Clarity on main policy questions that ideally should be answered by the next FSOS
- Insights into appropriate geographic coverage, time horizon and modelling issues which (together with a.) will feed into a proposal to be presented to the 40th Session of the Joint ECE/FAO Working Party on Forest Statistics, Economics and Management in March 2018
- Clarity on the way forward
Please find the draft agenda and concept note here.
Registration is closed.
VII. Meeting venue
The workshop will take place in Room IV, Palais de Nations (opposite of the "Delegates' Lounge).
Information regarding logistics will be sent out by email.
VIII. Background information
Previous outlook studies:
Previous meetings after NAFSOS and EFSOS II:
XI. Workshop documents
|Concept Note and agenda|
|Programme and group work||B. Altmann|
|The World in 2050||B. Altmann|
|Update Jeffrey Prestemon||J. Prestemon|
|Update Mart-Jan Schelhaas||M. Schelhaas|
|Update Tuula Packalen||T. Packalen|
Should you have any question, please contact the Secretary of the ToS on Forest Sector Outlook Birgit Lia Altmann.
More information on the Team of Specialists on Forest Sector Outlook