Launch of the National Policy Dialogue (NPD): 2006
NPD Co-Chairs: Water Resources Management Agency (Ministry of Nature Protection), Water Committee (Ministry of Energy Infrastructures and Natural Resources)
Donors: European Union through the EUWI+ programme and previous EUWI phases, Finland through FinWaterWEI programme (2011-2013)
Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with UNECE signed: 2006 (in English)
Current priority areas for UNECE support under the EUWI+ programme until 2020
- Develop a road map for implementation of the new obligations of Armenia under 5 EU Directives related to water within the EU-Armenia Comprehensive and Enhanced Partnership Agreement (CEPA)
- Support to the revision of the Water Code of Armenia and other key water legislation, particularly in the light of the CEPA implementation
- Support to the revision and adoption of the national targets in the context of the UNECE/WHO-Europe Protocol on Water and Health and the implementation of the Action Plan on equitable access to water and sanitation
- Transboundary cooperation with Georgia in the Khrami-Debed basin
The NPD features a high level of engagement by officials in the Ministry of Nature Protection and the Water Committee. The Armenian legislation on Integrated Water Resources Management (IWRM) is converging towards the EU acquis and MEAs. The NPD process had a key role in this process since 2006 through the development of policy packages such as:
- Recent achievements:
- A roadmap for harmonisation of national legislation with 5 EU water directives in line with the Comprehensive and Enhanced Partnership Agreement between the EU and Armenia submitted for adoption in 2019.
- An analysis of legislative barriers to ensure equitable access to water and sanitation finalized in 2018.
- Amendments/additions to the Water Code on sanitation adopted by the Parliament in April 2018.
- Revised targets under the UNECE/WHO Europe Protocol on Water and Health submitted for adoption in early 2019.
- Past achievements:
- A National Financing Strategy for rural WSS in order to achieve the MDGs in Armenia. Policy reforms were endorsed to close the financing gap for the sustainable operation and maintenance of existing services. Targets were agreed for infrastructure investment to expand services. Recommendations were made for institutional reform with respect to WSS in rural areas.
- A pilot River Basin Management Plan (RBMP) for the Marmarik river basin in line with the principles of IWRM and the EU WFD, establishing the processes and institutions required. As a result, the Armenian authorities are now well equipped to replicate and scale up this pilot.
- Recommendations were developed to reform the current economic instruments for water management and introduce new ones. Water abstraction fees for the fishery sector have already been reformed.
The 19th NPD Steering Committee Meeting (27 May 2021)
The 18th NPD Steering Committee Meeting (15 October 2019)
(14 October 2019)
The 17th NPD Steering Committee meeting (19 October 2018)
The 16th NPD Steering Committee (7 April 2017)
The 15th NPD Steering Committee (26 April 2016)
The 14th NPD Steering Committee (14 December 2015)
The 13th NPD Steering Committee (16 December 2014)
The 12th NPD Steering Committee (6 May 2014)
The 11th NPD Steering Committee meeting (12 December 2013)
The 10th NPD Steering Committee meeting (26 September 2013)
The 9th NPD Steering Committee meeting (12 December 2012)
The 8th NPD Steering Committee (11 April 2012)
The 7th Steering Committee (08 - 09 December 2011)
The 6th Steering Committee meeting (25 February 2011)
Steering Committee meeting (02 - 03 June 2010)
The 1st Steering Committee meeting on financing IWRM (04 March 2010)
The 3rd Steering Committee meeting (10 December 2009)