Project on implementation of the UNECE Water Convention and management of transboundary watercourses shared by Georgia and Azerbaijan
The objective of this project was to support Georgia to ratify and implement the UNECE Water Convention and to strengthen transboundary water cooperation between Azerbaijan and Georgia.
The expected results of the project were:
- An analysis of consequences and costs for the ratification and implementation of the UNECE Water Convention by Georgia.
- Strengthened transboundary water cooperation between Azerbaijan and Georgia
- An example established for the future application of the provisions of the Convention in the Kura-Araks river basin.
The following reports were completed within the scope of the project:
- Interview on the Kura river negotiations
- Report on the national working group meeting for identification of the legal and institutional needs for accession and implementation of the UNECE Water Convention by Georgia
- Cost analysis (related to possible accession to Water Convention by Georgia)
- Assessment of the Legal and Institutional Needs for Implementation of the UNECE Water Convention by Georgia (Gap analysis)
On the basis of this work an agreement on Cooperation in the Field of Protection and Sustainable Use of the Water Resources of the Kura River Basin is being negotiated between Azerbaijan and Georgia with the support of UNECE and OSCE. It is expected that the agreement can be signed in 2017.