The focus of the work of the Working Group on IWRM is on intersectoral activities to support the implementation of the Convention with regard to the integrated management of transboundary water resources (surface waters and groundwaters).
Activities under this Working Group aim to:
- prevent, control and reduce transboundary impacts, as defined in the Convention;
- promote the ecosystem approach in the framework of integrated water resources management;
- promote equitable and reasonable utilization of transboundary waters;
- ensure conservation and, where necessary, restoration of water-related ecosystems.
Further goals are to:
- advance adaptation to climate change in the transboundary context, including flood and drought management;
- promote understanding of the water-food-energy-ecosystems nexus and the reconciliation of multiple water uses in transboundary basins;
- advance the understanding of the benefits of transboundary cooperation;
- prevent accidental water pollution;
- facilitate the financing of transboundary water cooperation
- facilitate reporting under the Convention and on Sustainable Development Goal indicator 6.5.2.
The Working Group also seeks to build and strengthen the institutions responsible for the management of transboundary waters, to facilitate the work of joint bodies and to promote access to information and public participation in decision-making.The Working Group is co-chaired by Finland and Germany.
The need to consider monitoring and assessment in the broader context of integrated water resources management calls for close collaboration between the two Working Groups through cooperation on a number of joint activities.
Unless otherwise decided by the Meeting of the Parties, the Bureau or the Working Groups themselves, the Working Groups hold one ordinary meeting per year. Annual meetings of the Working Groups constitute an efficient mechanism for governing, coordination and fostering implementation of the Convention. These meetings provide a forum for sharing knowledge and successful experiences among Parties, non-Parties and stakeholders, with a view to supporting and carrying out, inter alia, bilateral and multilateral activities, pilot projects and capacity-building activities.