According to the workplan for the Convention on the Transboundary Effects of Industrial Accidents for 2021–2022, the following non-core activities, including assistance activities to support countries in the Caucasus, Central Asia, and Eastern and South-Eastern Europe, are to be implemented during the biennium:
- Activities to support implementation of the Strategic Approach through national and subregional expert and high-level meetings and support for the development of self-assessments and action plans in Azerbaijan, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Montenegro, Ukraine and/or other countries, to be determined
Lead/supporting countries: Azerbaijan, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Montenegro, Ukraine, possibly other Assistance and Cooperation Programme beneficiary countries, to be determined, with funding through the Assistance and Cooperation Programme
- Development and integration of Convention's self-assessment indicators into the European Union Industrial Safety Measurement Indices tool
Lead organization/countries: JRC, in cooperation with the Rep. of Moldova, Serbia, Slovenia and Ukraine, with support from the Working Group on Implementation
- Project on National Policy Dialogues (NPDs) for industrial safety in Central Asia (Phase I: Launch) (started in August 2020).
Lead/supporting countries: Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, with financing by the Russian Federation
Lead country: Serbia, with the financial support of France in cooperation with OECD
- Project on supporting Central Asian countries’ efforts to strengthen the safety of mine tailings (ongoing).
Lead countries: Kazakhstan, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan, in cooperation with Kyrgyzstan and Turkmenistan, with financial support of Switzerland, in cooperation with ECE Water Convention
- Project to strengthen the safety of mining operations, in particular tailings management facilities (TMFs), in Tajikistan, and Central Asia (ongoing).
Lead country: Tajikistan, with the financial support of Switzerland
- Subregional workshops on land-use planning and industrial safety in in South-Eastern Europe and Central Asia
Lead/supporting countries/organization: Serbia and Kyrgyzstan with the financial support of France, in cooperation with the ECE Committee on Housing and Land Management
b) Awareness-raising in and outreach to other regions
- Promoting and raising awareness of the Convention, including beyond the ECE region (production of information materials and establishment of a network of contacts
Supporting bodies/organizations: ECE and possibly other regional commissions, UNEP and lead countries
c) ECE Industrial Accident Notification System
- Electronic consultation for points of contact on the ECE Industrial Accident Notification System
Lead countries/organization: to be determined
A complete list of assistance activities during this and previous biennia, including background information, is available through the page “Meetings and Events”, when clicking “Advanced Search” and then selecting "Industrial Accidents" as the area of activity and "Assistance Programme" as subarea of activity.