At its third extraordinary session (Geneva, 23-24 June 2022), the Meeting of the Parties to the Aarhus Convention elected Mr. Michel Forst as Special Rapporteur on Environmental Defenders under the Aarhus Convention, by consensus. The Special Rapporteur’s role is to take measures to protect any person experiencing or at imminent threat of penalization, persecution, or harassment for seeking to exercise their rights under the Aarhus Convention.
Mr. Forst was elected pursuant to decision VII/9 of the Meeting of the Parties establishing a rapid response mechanism for the protection of environmental defenders (ENG FRE RUS) which was adopted by the Meeting of the Parties to the Aarhus Convention at its seventh session in Geneva, on 21 October 2021, by consensus. This is the first international mechanism specifically safeguarding environmental defenders to be established within a legally binding framework either under the United Nations system or other intergovernmental structure.
Mr. Forst was formerly UN Special Rapporteur on the situation of human rights defenders (2014-2020) and UN Independent Expert on the situation of human rights in Haiti (2008-2013), under the UN Human Rights Council.
For further information:
- Mandate and functions of the Special Rapporteur
- How to make a complaint to the Special Rapporteur
- Correspondence regarding complaints to the Special Rapporteur
- Press releases and public statements
- Meetings and events
- Short videos on environmental defenders and the work of the Special Rapporteur (2021)
- Frequently asked questions
- Contact the Special Rapporteur: [email protected]
- Follow on:
- Twitter: ForstMichel
- Instagram: forst.michel
- Facebook: Michel Forst Special Rapporteur on Environmental Defenders
- Linkedin: Michel FORST