Start date:1 August 2019
End date: 31 December 2022
The initial objective of the project was to improve sustainable urban development in municipalities in Norway and to establish an innovative ecosystem of public and private partnerships for implementing and sharing of smart and sustainable solutions. Further, the project was scaled up to support cities in the UNECE region in the localization of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) through the development of the regional guidelines on the SDG Voluntary Local Reviews (VLRs) and capacity-building in cities in the UNECE region.
The project supported an assessment of five Norwegian cities (Ålesund, Asker, Bærum, Rana and Trondheim) as smart and sustainable using the UNECE/ITU Key Performance Indicators for Smart Sustainable Cities (KPIs for SSC); please see a link to the collection methodology for the KPIs for SSC. As a result, detailed smart sustainable cities profiles for these five Norwegian cities were developed and compiled. The compilation of these profiles was published as a United Nations publication.
The project resulted in the establishment of a national Network of Excellence of municipalities and development of a training programme for the Norwegian municipalities - The Leadership Development Programme.
The project further supported the development of the UNECE Regional Guidelines for the Development of Voluntary Local Reviews in the UNECE Region, elaborated by UNECE with the support of the City of Trondheim and the Norwegian University of Technology and Science. The Guidelines aim to support local and regional governments in the UNECE region in promoting shared value creation for cities and other human settlements. The Guidelines were endorsed by the UNECE Committee on Urban Development, Housing and Land Management in 2021 and were revised in 2022.
- Trondheim Annual Conference “Leadership and Governance for Sustainable Development”
- UNECE networking event “Scaling-up financing for sustainable urban infrastructure – experiences from the UNECE region” at the 11th World Urban Forum
- How will your city look in 2030? - Localizing the SDGs and the role of SDG Voluntary Local Reviews in CIS countries
- How will your city look in 2030? - Localizing the SDGs and the role of SDG Voluntary Local Reviews in Eastern and Southeast Europe
- Improving sustainability of 17 Norwegian cities towards the implementation of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development in Norway and the UNECE region